Sunday, December 21, 2014

Venice

Okay I know I'm skipping around a bit but at least I'm still posting about Italy right? I just loved Venice. It was such a nice relaxing spot after all the walking in Rome, Florence and Pisa. Venice was unlike anything we had ever seen. It's definitely one of those places you have to visit once. It blows my mind how unreal it is. Its pretty low key meaning you just wander and get lost. You wander up and down all the canals and it all starts to look the same. Theres tons of little pizza places and shops and thats about it. First thing we did was climb up the bell tower to see the amazing views Venice had to offer. That seemed to be something we did in pretty much every city in Italy because the views are perfect. You couldn't hike up to the top though like you could the duomo in Florence but rather an elevator took you right to the top.

We had a water taxi pick us up from the airport (something our travel agent scheduled and it was super nice). They brought us through on the grand canal and he told out there was a speed limit on the canal which is funny because I never even thought of that, although it makes sense...
Getting around Venice can be a little confusing. You can take a water bus (the cheapest way to get around), a water taxi ( a little more pricier) and a gondola (which is a straight rip off, but when in Venice you just gotta). Luckily our hotel was right where the "square" was with the bell tower and such. At night Lyle and I would go to my favorite spot for treats and we would each pick out some and go to the square and share them. (For all our LDS friends you always have to ask about liquor in all the baked goods because most of them had it inn there...just FYI. )As simple as it was its probably one of my favorite memories of our whole Europe trip. They played music and when it got dark the whole square would light up and everyone would meet people there and just socialize. Everything about it was perfect. We also spent half a day on Burano, a local little island nearby that is seriously the most colorful and most quaint place I have ever been to. Thats the next post though. We sent this video to my parents below and it kind of shows our favorite spot although its not super lit because its not dark yet. But we would talk for hours and I remember telling him over and over as we sat there that I never wanted to leave.
Masquerade masks were seriously in every store. It was huge out there and I thought my dad would think they were super funny so these are for you Dad.
A high percentage of our Europe pics are of us kissing or pastries haha. One time I read this quote that went something like "I want pictures of us kissing in every city." And thats what I wanted too. Kissing pictures as we travel the world... wildy romantic in my head, nauseating in yours. Sorry guys. But every city is so romantic it makes it hard not to. 
Speaking of gondolas, I was super bummed they didn't sing. I guess I've seen far too many movies but I told him he should sing because I thought they did and near the end he started to sing and then I felt like I was in a movie. 
Love, Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment